Friday, September 4, 2015

Yard Sales

The kids love yard sales! We stopped by one, and The Boy was pretty excited. I was looking through some nonsense and he spotted the kitchen utensils. He was really into them, so I let him mess with them while I looked around. I did not leave him unattended because he seemed to be into the sharpest objects. And I didn't want him to be snatched. I was holding The Baby, trying not to let him touch everything.
I heard the attendant (homeowner? Guy?) tell a customer that he was really lucky he came by today because he was getting a great deal. He was laying it on really thick. And the guy did not negotiate with the customer. When my total came up to $5, I asked if I could give home $4, and without hesitation he agreed. Wonder why he was willing to take my offer, but not the other customer's?
I notice that people love to give my kids gifts from their merchandise.
"Oh, if he wants that, you guys can just take that."
Depending on what I'm buying, and the vibe I'm getting, I try to negotiate on top of the freebies. But I  usually go for one of the other. So far, I have only had the nerve to ask for a dollar or two off. Probably because people quote me pretty low.
I've been to a lot of yard sales where stuff is un-priced. This irritates me because you never know where people are at.
This season I've had pretty good luck with sales. Except for my own, but that was a different post.

No comments:

Post a Comment