Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Lonely Library

The boys and I went to the library today, and I had some weird experiences in the parking lot. I thought a boy (maybe about 14) was a mannequin. All I saw at first were two hands resting on thighs. And they looked like mannequin hands. When I leaned down to look, real eyes and spikey hair stared back at me. Obviously I looked like a fucking creep. Luckily, I was unloading my kids so I looked less threatening.
As I was trying (and failing) to get the stroller over a snow blob, a guy I recognized from a previous workplace. He was rumored to be, at best, a creep. At worst, a child molester and/or indecent exposurer. He stopped in front of us and said,
"Come, come", motioning his hand.
I looked at him and said,
"No. No. "
And held up my hand.
When I got inside, I told all this to the librarian. She suggested I get more sleep.
My boys did a good job in Book Babies. I'm so proud of them.

I think I'm struggling with my life choices. I am so blessed to be a stay-at-home mom, with a reliable and hardworking partner, and two beautiful, funny, healthy, amazing boys. But I get lonely. And I struggle with housework, and when the day is ending, I have to make a conscious decision to recall my accomplishments. I realized that we are a society that values production markers. We like pedometers, progress reports, and tangible evidence of our toils. Housework is never-ending. And how do I "chart  progress" with my children? Do I even want to? (I do not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment