Sunday, December 13, 2015

Catch-All

"The days are long but the years are short."
When my 16-month-old wants me to play a version of catch, I almost always put down what I'm doing and play. The game won't last forever, and neither will his childhood. Soon I will long for the days when my kids to play with me and not their friends.

I remember a day where I had too much the night before. And just for good measure, I put Jager in my coffee on the way to church. My friend and fellow church-goer was alarmed and dismayed and mentioned how much I smelled, and how bad it was (even for Unitarians!) to go to church like that. We sat in the back and hoped good things would happen. We chose to ignore out obvious dysfunction.
That was then and this is now. I still sit in the back, but my reasons are different. My chosen seats are for easy child-related exits, and for passing out the offertory bucket. Now my kids hang out in the nursery downstairs. When I sit in the service, I often think of my to-do list. But I also think about our purpose and meaning here on Earth as human beings. And I think of praying. The services now often bring tears to my ears.
 'I once was lost and now I'm found.'
I'm so thankful and grateful that I found my way back.

My kids love their chalk and chalkboards, but the sounds and feelings of those items gives me chills and makes me uncomfortable. I guess I won't let my sensory issues get in the way of their creative processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment