Saturday, October 17, 2015

Fat Witch


I got another recipe from Fat Witch Bake Sale.

Peanut Butter Brownies
Makes 12-16 brownies (usually I double my recipes, and I totally forgot this time!)
These guys are pretty rich. I just had a bigger-than-needed piece.
Brownie Batter Ingredients:
8 tablespoons -1 stick- unsalted butter-( I have no idea what kind I used)
4 oz bittersweet chocolate - (not gonna lie, I love me a substitute...I melted an Easter milk chocolate bunny, 2.5 oz and used 2 oz of bought-on-clearance gluten/dairy/nut free chips)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt (I shook my shaker)
Peanut Butter Layer
1 lg egg
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar (I used dark)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (I used smooth)
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt (shook that shaker!)
1/3 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts (optional-I did not use these)
Do This:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 baking pan with butter or cooking spray. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. (This recipe took me forever to complete because I had to stop for dinner and bedtime. My oven was on way too long! And, I used an oval-shaped pan.)
2) To make the brownie batter: In a small heavy-bottom saucepan over low heat, warm the butter and chocolate, stirring frequently, until almost completely melted. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir until smooth. Set aside and cool slightly.
3) In a large bowl, using an electric mixer (I don't have one. Look at these muscles!), beat the sugar, eggs, and vanilla until creamy. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
4) Measure the flour and salt and sift directly into the chocolate mixture. Mix until no trace of the dry ingredients remains.
5) Spread a little more than half of the brownie batter evenly in the prepared pan. (I'm pretty sure I put more than half in the bottom. I didn't have a lot to work with for the top.) Put the pan in the fridge to chill while you make the peanut butter filling. Reserve the remaining brownie batter.
6) To make the peanut butter layer: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
7) Using a wooden spoon or spatula (I love my rubber spatula! What a difference the right tool makes.), stir in the peanut butter. Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt and sift directly into the peanut butter mixture. Mix gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains.
8) Remove the pan from the fridge and press the peanut butter mixture over the brownie base. It's easiest to do this with clean fingers. Don't worry about being perfectly even. Return the pan to the fridge for 3-5 minutes, until the peanut butter layer firms slightly. Remove the pan from the fridge and spread the remaining brownie batter evenly over the top. Toss on the roasted peanuts, if desired.
9) Bake for 35-40 minutes (I baked mine for about 50 minutes.), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it. Cool in the pan on a rack for at least an hour. Cut into squares just before serving.
Storage
Brownies will last longer if uncut. Store covered on the counter for 3-4 days or 4-5 days in the fridge.



No comments:

Post a Comment