Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Two Things

Aside from taking the kids to the park (for an hour!) and preparing three delicious meals, I also cleaned, decluttered, and played with the kids. The Boy did a project, and both of them played with the blocks nicely and quietly for a long time. They even had a bath. Miracle of miracles.

I also made some homemade pasta. I got the recipe from Made from Scratch. You need:
3 large eggs
3 cups of flour
Beat the eggs lightly and add the flour in a 1/2 cup at a time. When it gets to be a nice dough ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for an hour.
After the hour, roll it out as flat as possible, but make sure it stays one piece. Then roll it into a tube, and cut off the pasta pieces from there. Put the pasta strands (or clumps, if you are rockin' it like I was today) in a pot of boiling water. Boil for 3-5-8 minutes.
My pasta looked terrible but it tasted great. I had more clumps and chunks than strands, and when I put it in the pot, there was a lot of leftover flour that didn't make it into the dough. I'm not sure why my dough seemed dry. I did add a little water, but I was afraid more would make it too sticky. But it felt good to not feed my family ferrous sulfate for dinner.

My kids go through toothbrushes like they are goin' out of style. So I used two regular plastic ones, one red and one white, to make a bracelet out of. First I yanked out all the bristles with pliers. Then I boiled the toothbrushes until the plastic became pliable. Then I basically folded it so the two ends were almost touching. To solidify the brush, I put it in ice water.  I had trouble with this project too! For some reason, possibly because there was a thick part of plastic, I couldn't get my toothbrushes to fold like I wanted them to. Presently, they are more square than anything. I might try again tomorrow (I can always heat them again to reshape), but they might have to be hip to be square. (Does that make sense?)

3 comments:

  1. Was there a sauce for the pasta? I will give it a go tomorrow...Thanks I might add some cheese (hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese would probably be good! And there was a sauce...a chunky tomato recipe. Basil and such. I used regular store bought sauce. Do you want the chunky recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought Hunt's garlic tomato sauce (it was on sale :)), but yes I would love a chunky tomato sauce recipe, I have basil growing in pots outside and I bought dried garlic slices (yup totally lazy move with the garlic)

      Delete