Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Make-Up

I put my make-up on in front of my boys, almost every single day. Today I was applying it while sitting on the couch. The Baby came up and put his finger in my liquid foundation, and I think he tasted it. Then he watched me, and he put his finger back in the bottle, and applied some to his chin. The Boy came up and did the same. My BIL was appalled. He told them point-blank-period that
"Only girls wear make-up. Stop that! Boys don't wear make-up!"
And to me he said,
"You got them doing ballet and everything else, and now they're wearing make-up!"
Ok, cowboy. Slow the hell down. My kids are not taking ballet, and I hadn't even considered signing them up. And secondly, some boys do wear make-up. And although I personally think its a little weird, its not a problem.
BIL said that if the kids are 16, and they 'come at him' all 'cross-dressing and what-not' they will get an uppercut.
I told him that if he ever uppercuts my kids, he better hope I can't get to him.
I want my boys to know that whatever they do, whoever they are, whatever they wear, I will always love them. I want them to know that they can make bad fashion choices, they can love who they want, and they have whatever profession they decide...and they will always be my kids and I will always love them. I want to give them the opportunity to recognize and name their feelings. I want The Boy to know that it is ok to think Mama's necklaces are pretty. And I want them to know that rigid gender roles hurt everyone.
I just want them to know that Mom is in their corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment