Sunday, November 8, 2015

Two Moms In The Raw

I love the idea of foraging and growing my own veggies. There is something rewarding about locating the edibles on my property, and being able to use them well in the kitchen. It might sound crazy, but I'm concerned that there might be some kind of societal breakdown and we'll have to make do with the vegetation around us. It would seem that I am pretty terrible at growing my own veggies, for a variety of reasons. But the foraging, we're doing ok at. I picked a bunch of dandelion leaves and some mint stalks. And we juiced them! I had planned on following a juicing recipe I found in a library book, but the other ingredients weren't on sale.
The library book is called Two Moms In The Raw - simple, clean, irresistible recipes for your family's health. I read a little of the introduction, and it was about how one of the authors got M.S, and now she is eating way healthier and it makes her feel much better. I do feel that there is a definite link between how one eats and how healthy one is/ how one feels. But the idea of going raw, or gluten-free, or without sugar, or with wheatgrass (not sure that what that is) seems really stressful to me. And I'm going to assume that I need can't get that stuff with coupons. I don't eat meat, but that is pretty much the only thing I won't eat.
So I looked at the first recipe. And I made juice, but basically did not follow this recipe:
Mix-And-Match
Green Power Juice
3 large bunches greens (2 pounds total), such as spinach dandelion greens, swiss chard, or kale
Nettles (fresh when in season, dried when not)
2 cups microgreens (avoid bitter varieties like argula)
Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
Handful of fresh cilantro
Handful of fresh mint leaves
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger
1 (1/2 inch) piece fresh turmeric
Small amount of apple or pear (optional)
8-10 frozen wheatgrass cubes
Juice all the ingredients except the wheatgrass cubes. Put the cubes in a glass, pour juice over them.
My juice was a bunch of dandelion leaves, some mint sprigs (both picked from the yard), a clove of garlic, and about six apples. The Boy helped me, and said that the juice was 'spicy'. It did have a bite to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment