Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Happy Birthday!

Today is my Birthday!! I'm still excited about it, despite the fact that I am supposedly too old. I am from the school of thought that birthdays are special, they are something to be celebrated, and they should always have an element of excitement, surprise, and sweetness. No matter how old we get. And there was a time in my life when I wasn't sure I would get to this age.

We went out for dinner to Blaze Pizza. I had a coupon for a free pizza! And my uncle-in-law let us swipe his card, which was a great birthday gift. The kids had a pretty good time, minus the head whack at the end. But they behaved themselves. And The Hubs and I had a chance to sit for a moment.

I made myself my birthday cake, using a recipe from a book titled Birthday Parties for Children-How To Give Them, How To Survive Them. Copyright 1983, and I bought it for 50 cents from a library book sale. I made a spice cake with butter frosting.
Spice Cake
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter, but my cake was dry. So I think I needed maybe a cup)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon milk (what an annoying amount, and an odd placement on the list. I used almond milk again)
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I didn't measure-just shook the canister over my pan, because I realized I forgot to stir them in.)
1/2 teaspoon cloves (I used another heavy shake of ginger)

1. Beat the sugar and shortening until they are well mixed.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients. Beat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Bake in a greased 9x13 inch pan (that's what I used), or in two greased 8-inch layer pans at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or in paper baking cups (filled about 1/2 full) set in muffin pans at 350 degrees, or until done.
4. Cook and ice with the frosting of your choice.

Butter Frosting
Blend until creamy 3 tablespoons soft butter or margarine, 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and a dash of salt. If too thin, add more sugar. If too thick, add water or milk by the dropful. (I used more than a dropful of almond milk).

Happy Birthday and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment