Monday, February 1, 2016

Busted Lips and Chocolate Chip Muffins

While I was doing the dishes, The Hubs and kids were playing in the living room. With the dog. And I heard a thump, followed by my husband saying,
"Oh man, that's bad."
I rush out there to find my husband clutching our screaming, crying, wailing baby to his chest. He unhelpfully says,
"Its bad, its' really bad. This might be the worst I've seen."
I couldn't tell if he meant the worst he's seen in life (because he's some scary stuff) or the worst he's seen with The Baby. I asked, almost hysterically, if this was a E.R. situation or an ice-pack/cuddle situation. The Hubs showed me the still-crying face of our baby, which was covered in blood and tears (well, really, the bottom half of his face was bloody and the top half was teary). I start tearing up, then crying. We get an ice pack, and The Boy promptly asks for his own ice pack. The Hubs holds the baby for a while and he stops crying on his own, and I give him baby pain reliever, and we call my sister-in-law (she's got nursing degree experience) and The Boy bites the ice pack so I give him an ice cube in a paper towel, and I'm still crying, and The Hubs starts talking about his rough-and-tumble childhood, and I'm trying to not freak out about the blood, and The Boy is rushing around and messing, and I try to see the severity of the wounds and I'm still crying. We give the boys their bedtime milk, and I let both of them watch a little t.v. The Baby keeps biting his lip, which I'm sure is very painful, so he cries, and I'm trying to get his clothes off in the least painful way. We awkwardly brush teeth, read our bedtime books, and he sleeps face down. He's woken once, and I went in there to rub his back, and he feel asleep right away. It seems that he is adjusting to his new, and very painful, injury. Before The Hubs and I go to sleep, we'll check on him.

Before the evening trauma, we made it Jewel, where I saved 43%. The cashier was very annoyed when I tried to hand her my coupons one by one. She asked, in a very irritated tone, if I could just hand them to her all at once. And as I was doing so, I said that I was afraid one would be missed. I didn't really mean that she personally would miss one, but I've had than happen before. The she got fake-friendly on me, and double-checked my coupons and thanked me for my patience. Which I didn't really appreciate, but I worked retail, so I know where she's at. When I was cashier, I preferred people hand me their coupons one at a time, so they could keep track of their own shit, but I guess almost every other cashier does not like that. Also, as I was walking by a manager, he kind of yells, which makes me stop the cart abruptly and The Boy wobbles around in there. Then I get a fucking lecture about not letting my kid stand in the cart. I was alarmed at how mad I got, and I didn't argue because of course he's right, but I was annoyed nonetheless. But, having worked retail, I hope they had a good day despite by scowls. I really need to not be such 'a customer' and remember how it was behind the counter. wherethecouponsare.blogspot.com

I made chocolate/butterscotch chip muffins, using a recipe I found on tasteofhome.com
I substituted some chocolate chips for butterscotch (the butterscotch chip bag was open already) and I made mine mini. I, for some reason, have more mini muffin tins and I bought some on-clearance Frozen mini muffin liners (100 for 74 cents!)

My dinner was awesome! The Hubs really enjoyed it. I made a pot pie using almost-expired pie crusts, leftover soup, leftover carrots, leftover sweet potato, cheese and flour. Go me! It was truly a make-something-new-from-what-we-have meal. Pretty proud of myself.

2 comments:

  1. would love a photo of the foods to go with the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on it! Thanks for your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete