Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Assumptions

Sometimes other adults address only my children and I am unsure how to proceed. Since obviously the adult was making nicities to my kids, I make sure my children respond. When someone is speaking to them, I want my kids to be able to look at them and answer clearly. (I still have problems doing that, but I know its the right thing to do!) When an adult asks a question that is obviously meant for me, but directed at my child, I get even more awkward. Partly because that is a dumb thing to do, on their part. So I usually answer, but as my child. I say,
"Can you say, '...'"

We are blessed enough to have access to an indoor swimming pool, for free, at my grandmother's residence. I try to go there about once a week, but scheduling can be difficult. Today while we there, The Boy demonstrated what he learned in swimming lessons, and his approach around water and the pool area is markedly different. I am so proud! Anyway, a resident was coming out of the pool and we were getting out of her way, and she asks The Boy how old he was. He held up three fingers and yelled the number. Then she asked his name, which he provided, although not that clearly. My grandmother moved in a told her how we spell the boy's names, which is a little unusual and she remarked,
"Oh, so you'll be spelling your name to everyone you meet in life."
which I thought was an odd and irritating thing to say. So many names are spelled in several ways, I'm not sure what the problem is. I always tell people how to spell my name, it relieves the possibility of bizarre mix-ups.  After she had moved on to The Baby, The Boy volunteered his last name, and my husbands name, and my name, which is 'Mama'. I was thinking about the implications of his sharing personal information with people, when she asked if he was going to school. Dang it! Then she assumed that he would be going to school next year. I didn't comment, because it really isn't her business. For the record, I want to do homeschool preschool, with their first formal schooling experience to be kindergarten. My husband is sort of on board with idea, but I feel very strongly about it. Anyway, I was a little offended and annoyed that this woman would assume to know what my boys are doing with their lives. But perhaps I need to let it go. Done.    

No comments:

Post a Comment