Sunday, April 24, 2016

Mrs. Dunwoody

I got a book from the library, called Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instructions for Homekeeping - Timeless Wisdom and Practical Advice by Miriam Lukken. It was copyrighted in 2003, but the content is much older, around the late 1800's. It reiterates the need for a housekeeping schedule, for a personal schedule, and for the comfort of home. I particularly like the way it elevates the homemaker status, really emphasizing the importance of homemakers, the act of housekeeping, and the artistry this all entails.
I do feel that when one's home is well-kept, when one is ready for the next event/activity in a timely manner, when one is aware of the importance of having a home that brings comfort, then that person is able to go forward in life in a way that makes that person feels good. Perfection is not the goal, but neither is merely surviving.
I would like my home to be a launch pad for it's residents, to be a source of comfort, of joy; a place of memories and memory-making. I would like my home to be organized enough so that I do not have to struggle to complete tasks (I'm doing ok on this front, much better than I used to).
Homemaking and homesteading are on the rise, I feel, in part due to a need to get back to 'our roots', or 'how things used to be'. Which is, of course, romanticizing the past in a way that I'm not sure is helpful. But I do relish the idea that homemakers and homesteaders will once again be a valued part of society, and that people will find that these careers fulfilling. I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment