Sunday, April 3, 2016

Pledge Drive

Hey guys! Long time no write! I've been working on a new way of getting stuff done. I suspect it is just as efficient as the old ways, which is to say, not very. But it makes me feel pretty good, so I'll keep doing it.

My kids and I go to a Unitarian Universalist church, and I want so badly for them to have a similar experience to mine. I loved my youth group, and the trip to Boston, and all the projects and bonding and learning we all did together. Even when learning wasn't cool and church on Sunday seemed atrociously early. These days I love the services, and find myself tearing up in the back row. I'm so pleased I finally joined a church group; we meet on Thursday nights. My religion feels so much more holy to me now, and I have a reverence for things I didn't before. Yes, this story is going somewhere...despite my love for my church, and despite believing that some charity is a good idea, I find our pledge drive and the church's insistence on receiving funds leaves me feeling guilty, annoyed, resentful, and irritated. But also willing to help. That being said, I know that it is part of our duty as members to help support the congregation. But I'm not sure how rock-solid the budget is. I come to thought as a frugal, sometimes cheap, coupon-clipping mama. I made my pledge, and without asking anyone if I could, I decided to payment-plan my funds. Every month, the plate will get my pledge in the appropriate envelope. I can only assume the finance committee will be able to handle it.
Also, our religion (and us, of course) believe that social action is part of our responsibility as people. We strive to eradicate injustices and to give back to the community as well as ourselves. We believe that everyone is part of a inter-connected web of life.
As of now, although I am still a mite resentful of our pledge drive, I realize that in order to get from the church, I must give. I have eased it into my budget and will adjust accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment